At the Canadian International Institute of Art Therapy, we offer engaging, comprehensive and in depth art therapy programs to a diverse group of post graduate students coming from an array of nationalities, education and life experience.
The world is constantly changing, becoming more culturally diverse and interconnected than ever before. At the Canadian International Institute of Art Therapy, we offer engaging, comprehensive and in depth art therapy programs to a diverse group of post graduate students coming from an array of nationalities, education and life experience. We are selective in choosing students who are committed to making their professional lives filled with meaningful purpose.Our students learn to recognize and understand that different opportunities, cultures, and strategies can assist in the development of a rich career in the arts and psychology while also learning to negotiate diverse situations.CiiAT integrates a global perspective into our curriculum, so that no matter what topic you study, every course will help you become more globally minded. Our global perspective on curriculum is important. It can give you an edge over other applicants to an exceptional array of opportunities.
At the Canadian International Institute for Art Therapy
, our cultural immersion programs, bring opportunities to our students to immerse themselves in unique cultural experiences in which weoffer hands-on instruction in a variety of visual arts media within the context of an international art therapy institution. Our faculty
of therapists, and working artists collaborate to design a program and foster an environment where the unique talents and perspectives of individual students can emerge and flourish.
- CiiAT Graduates are eligible for Professional Status with CATA or the IEATA or both
- Professional Certifications such as our new program TAPPS are available for Mental Health Providers, Teachers, Therapists and other Human Services workers.
- Attachment Informed Art Therapy Certification which demonstrates hands-on practicing integration of interdisciplinary approaches to attachment theory, crisis and trauma
- Cultural Immersion Certification
- Expressive Arts Therapy Certification
- Practice with in-depth supervision within your home community
- Learn to foster therapeutic relationships and implement clinical Art Therapy Skills
- Learn Art and Psychology-based research skills
- Working with others: Participate in supervised practicum, learn to advise and collaborate
Pathways to Certification
Our program maintains the high standards of an Approved Training Program through PTIB and The Canadian Art Therapy Association as well as, The Expressive Arts Therapy Association (IEATA). Our graduates meet all requirements to work as Art Therapists and Expressive Arts Therapists. At CiiAT we offer 2 year, and 15 month programs as well as individual workshops and intensives.
Interested in Professional Development?
Learn more about TAPPS- Therapeutic Arts Specialist Programs
and the Pathways to Certification: ciiatglobal.org/home/pathwaystocertification
How does this apply to Personal/Professional Development?
The exploration and study of Art Therapy comes from a variety of perspectives. In this program you will learn about the different psychological paradigms, from a variety of theorists and how to apply those theories with your clients in a meaningful way.
At the Canadian International Institute of Art Therapy you will develop the skills necessary to apply different modalities within the context of art therapy.
- Utilize your understanding of how art therapy affects the dimensions of the mental, physical and emotional being
- Access material not easily accessible through conversation alone
- Recognize, and learn to work creatively with conflict in relationships
- Use your unique gifts while working with the artistic modalities, to assist individuals in their growth and recovery
- Experience a multicultural viewpoint to help you in your practice
- Accessing unconscious material through art
- Learn Theory, scholarly research and praxis
- Learn about Attachment Theory
- Early developmental processes
- Subconscious Mind
- Online and in the classroom — students work & learn together
- Small group work
- Independent work
- Guest speakers – master level professionals from diverse backgrounds who’s work compliment the training curricula